Thursday, October 6, 2016

Memory for Anna & Luke: October 2011 with Grandma Sanders

I took this picture five years ago to the day, between Dunton and Rico, Colorado.

Oct 6, 2011 was my first day moving back home, after leaving Durango in 1983 for the Air Force. Coming back home was an easy, yet scary decision, not knowing exactly how I was going to earn a living or what it meant to my career. But it turned out to be one of the best decisions of my life. God took over.

This day was the first time that my mom, Ruby Sanders, had been on that road in over thirty years, since my dad, Doyle Sanders, died in 1978. She had lived alone ever since, but was always busy, loving and outgoing. I moved back to spend time with her while she was still healthy. Two and a half years later, she died in her sleep, in her bed, in her home of over 60 years, where our family was raised.

I spent a lot of time growing up, with my dad, hunting and exploring in these mountains, meadows and flats in the west fork of the Dolores River. When Mom and I saw this scene on this drive, it felt like a sign from Dad, "I'm here with you, pardner. You're back home. You're supposed to be here."


No comments:

SpaceX Inspirations

SpaceX launched a two-astronaut crew yesterday, on a mission to dock with the International Space Station. It was the first human spaceflig...