Thursday, November 21, 2013

Leadership Path: Milestones of Coincidence

Knowing how to make an optimal leadership decision when the perfect decision is elusive or impossible has always been a struggle for me.  I've written about the role of pure motives in these decisions, which was a major philosophical breakthrough for me, but there's another vital sign indicator that I'm on on the right decision and leadership path, even when it feels like that path is ladened with trouble.

My family's Aunt Harriet "Pat" Manuel wrote this to me in my high school graduation card. I didn't 'get it' back then, but I learned to get it as I grew older-- the incredible truth and amazing beauty of it:

"There are meaningless coincidences in life and there are meaningful coincidences in life. Your heart will know the difference if you listen to it. The meaningful coincidences are God's milestones, telling you that you are on the right path. Watch for those milestones. Be worried when you don't see them; be at peace when you do see them, and stay on that path." 

I shared her wisdom in a business email yesterday for the first time ever.

When I'm troubled by a difficult decision that I'm about to make, or that I did make, and unsure about the decision's validity, I keep my mind open to the presence or absence of these meaningful coincidences.

No comments:

SpaceX Inspirations

SpaceX launched a two-astronaut crew yesterday, on a mission to dock with the International Space Station. It was the first human spaceflig...